Bad fstab created by edgy upgrade

R Kimber rkimber at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 28 12:13:54 UTC 2007

I think I'm groping towards an explanation for the bizarre situation
that, when I rebooted, my machine went back to it state of 6 months ago.

I had a rarely used and unmounted disk on which there was an archive
copy of an old /home, and this was being mounted instead of the /home
specified in the fstab that got converted to uuid form.  Clearly the
conversion process is buggy.  This is alarming for such an important
process.

The problem is that fstab is now unreadable by ordinary mortals who
used to understand what was going on.

How can I edit the new fstab to make sure the right partition of the
right disk is mounted as /home?  And how can I check that the other
entries are OK?

I have managed to boot up with the old pre-uuid fstab, with all the
correct files appearing in /home, but presumably I can't use this
permanently, and presumably doing so would screw up any upgrade to
feisty.

I assume there's a bug here that needs reporting.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/