Wiping Out Data

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Wed Mar 28 02:17:08 UTC 2007

On 03/27/2007 05:56 PM, Jeffrey F. Bloss wrote:

> Conspiracy theroies aside, in my experience the "DoD" doesn't wipe
> sensitive data at all except under very rare circumstances, and even
> then it's done in bulk with high tech degaussing equipment. Digital
> media is typically treated the same as paper documents. Shredded,
> incinerated, dissolved in a suitable liquid, and flushed down special
> drains where it's "aged" before being ultimately disposed of. All under
> armed guard of course.
>
> I've even seen really expensive, hermetically sealed crypto hardware
> "black boxes" that were designed to violently self destruct upon being
> opened, decommissioned this way just to be on the safe side.
>
> I could tell you more, but then I'd have to kill you. ;o)

As could I; my past experience was 8 years in US government ciphony. But
I have to admit that I'm still getting a handle on linux security, so
I'm always open to learning all that I can. However, the OP was looking
for something to wipe his disks for donation & shred was mentioned -
scrub was offered as an alternative. The caveats in the scrub man doc
offer sufficient warning about it's limitations.

Personally for a non-government standard user use I like bcwipe for
linux (non-free). Alternatively I use a blowtorch :-)