OK I've got backups, BUT ....

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 18:02:15 UTC 2007

On 3/27/07, R Kimber <rkimber at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> I've just rebooted my Ubuntu 6.10 system and it seems to be completely
> screwed in the sense that it has been restored to the state it was in
> round about last August.  Bizarrely, data files that I have long since
> deleted have reappeared, and many many new files and programs have
> disappeared.
>
> What has happened?  Is this anything to do with evms? And is there a way
> of restoring things without a complete re-install?

The first thing I'd check is that you haven't accidentally booted up
the wrong partition. One of my PCs at home periodically "forgets"
which of two hard drives to boot first. If you've played around with
different versions of Ubuntu, it's possible that you have multiple
boot partitions and accidentally started a blast from the past....

If that isn't it, I wouldn't have a clue. Sounds very bizarre.

-Eamonn