Evolution

John Dangler jdangler at atlantic.net
Tue Mar 27 17:26:40 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 13:15 -0400, John Dangler wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 18:45 +0200, nodata wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, den 27.03.2007, 11:30 -0400 schrieb John Dangler:
> > > Since applying for a scholarship online about 2 weeks ago, I have been
> > > consistently inundated with spam mail in my personal email box
> > > (approximately 500-600 per day).  I've been setting up rules to filter
> > > this, but I do notice 2 things
> > > (1) the douche bags who insist on doing this just keep changing the
> > > names of the subject, and the source (xlt.com , xlti.com, xtli.com,
> > > txltet.com) ...
> > > (2) some of the filters don't even work, which for the life of me i
> > > cannot figure out why... i.e. (I have a rule looking for _any_ of
> > > single, singles, Single, Singles, SINGLE, SINGLES; I get an email with
> > > Are you tired of being single ? in the subject, and the filter leaves it
> > > alone) ...
> > >
> > > At this point, I'd like to blacklist my entire mailbox, and open it only
> > > to those I want to allow in, either by sending an autoresponse (like
> > > "hey, reply to this and i'll read your mail") , or some other method.
> >
> > Well, you don't want to do that.
> >
> > You've just suggested spamming the From: address of every forged e-mail
> > you receive. You'd become part of the problem then.
> How does that work?
> >

> > > Is there a way to set this up in Evolution?
> >
> > As a starter, set up a filter that redirects all mail to the Trash
> > unless it matches each address in your list.
> So this would be like setting up rules to say if sender is
> such-and-such, move to inbox..., (but how do you set up mail to go
> somewhere else by default?) but as a default everything would go to a
> hold/trash folder.  Then if I don't move it, its trashed, either
> programmatically or via some other method (although I hope the other
> method isn't manual, since right now it takes me about an hour a day
> just to dump mail I know I don't want)...
> >
> > There is probably a more efficient way to do this, but I expect
> > Thunderbird has a better solution.
> >

> > > Thanks for the input.  Other than this list, and 2 or 3 other tech
> > > lists, I don't get much mail (until recently).
DOH! I just looked and noticed that I don't actually have either
spamassassin or bogofilter installed... (looking at the evo plug-ins it
indicates that both are enabled)...
I've seen threads on both of these, and some recent activity seemed to
indicate that bogo is a better mousetrap.  Can anyone here shed some
light on this?  I really need to get a handle around all the crap mail
i'm receiving these days...