GRUB hangs on Mac Install

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 02:36:31 UTC 2007

On 26/03/07, Wade Smart <wade at wadesmart.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 11:30 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> > On 03/26/2007 11:09 AM, Wade Smart wrote:
> > > 03262007 1305 GMT-6 DST
> > >
> > > My client has a new iMac with intel core 2 duo with 1gb ram and 230gb
> > > hd. After bragging about how great Ubuntu is he tried to install it on
> > > his system. He gets most of the way through install but then when it
> > > comes to booting it throws this message:
> > > GRUB loading stage 1.5
> > > GRUB loading, please wait...
> > >

> > > and never gets beyond this. He said he left it for about three hours
> > > thinking it would just get through whatever it was doing - but
> > > apparently not. Any suggestions?
> > >
> > > wade
> >
> > What flavor of Ubuntu?
> >
> > Check here to see if any of the bugs match your problem.
> > https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub/+bugs
> >
>  03262007 1343 GMT-6 DST
>
> He's using Ubuntu 6.06 LTS 64bit version.
>
> wade

At the risk of jumping into a topic about which I know little...

I suspect that 6.06 is his problem. 6.06 LTS was released very soon
after the Intel Macs were unleashed onto the world. I would expect
that for such new hardware he'd want to be using 6.10 _at the very
least_, perhaps even trying some of the more stable 7.04 Live CDs!

Eric.