too much space around text

Matthew Clarke mj3clark at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 01:14:28 UTC 2007

I noticed the same thing (although not with your precise analysis!)
Generally I like the gnome look but from day one I thought the UI
looked a little chubby vertically.  Especially on buttons, toolbars
and the body of listboxes.  Now I'm sure this was done for a reason.
Anybody know why?

I know this is probably a personal preference thing, but I think
tighter spacing would allow slightly more to appear on screen but also
(and probably more importantly) lend the interface a more slick feel.

Cheers,
MC

On 3/15/07, Markus Lutzer <m.lutzer at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello!
> I am using GNU/Linux for several years now and like it very much. One
> issue I always disliked is the extensive space, windows managers require
> on the screen to display text. Because of this menus and windows become
> too big thus the screen looks crowded and confusing. It is the same with
> KDE and GNOME. For example, the GNOME panel on top of my screen is 24
> pixel high. The entry "System" (which has upper case letters as well as
> a "y" which goes below the line) is 12 pixel high. This is 100%
> additional space over and below the text together. (Cp. attachment
> panel_menu_orig.png) For my opinion 2 pixel for example would be enough
> and result in a cleaner and thus virtually "bigger" screen because about
> 25% more information would fit on it. (Cp. attachment
> panel_menu_shrinked.png). This phenomenon is present whenever text is
> displayed. For instance the list mode in Nautilus could display much
> more entry without the wasted space. For example the file browser of
> OpenOffice.org displays four files/folders at once by default which
> makes it very uncomfortable to browse through a file system with more
> than ten files (Cp. attachment filebrowser2.png). MS Windows does this
> job better and therefore looks cleaner. Why not GNOME and KDE?!
>
> Also I could not manage to customize the space consumption in KDE or
> GNOME. Is there any possibility to change this behaviour? If so, why it
> is not changed by default?!
>
> Cheers, Markus
>
> PS: I am not speaking about the font size itself which is ok for me.

Matthew Clarke