Triple boot - Ubuntu Feisty (7.04) Dapper (6.06) and Windows XP (P4)

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Mar 26 14:07:33 UTC 2007

Eric Dunbar wrote:

> On 25/03/07, Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > If I understand correctly, your original grub boot information is
>> > still basically in the (now unused) original /boot partition for
>> > dapper 6.06.
>> >
>> > So in theory, if you can copy it out and use the relevant items in
>> > your new grub file, (menu.1st) which I expect is in the /boot/grub  of
>> > 7.04 partition, then you will be hopefully on your way.

Yes - just one disclaimer: put it outside the "automagic" section, or it
will get lost when you install a new kernel image (or run update-grub).

>> Question for everyone:
>>
>> Where does Ubuntu's installer (Feisty (7.04) and Dapper (6.06 LTS)
>> place the grub binary by default?

In /boot, under the --root-directory specified to grub-install (your
current / by default).

> Is it possible (I presume it is but I haven't managed to get the right
> syntax yet and it's bed time ;-) to...
>
> have the first grub "chain load" the second grub or the second grub's
> menu.lst?

Definitely, just the same way you chain load to a windows install.
--
derek