memory upgrade

Carsten Aulbert carsten at welcomes-you.com
Sun Mar 25 18:23:57 UTC 2007

Thilo Six wrote:

> i do not know about hotplug (which means plug it in during running computer)
> but if the drive is installed correctly (when computer is turned off with
> right jumpering) it should work after next boot.

Yeah, I was only referring to hotplugging. After a reboot the DVD-drive
should be found ok, but if you swap things without reboot, it won't work
(at least that's likely). I know that this may work under Windows.

On the other hand, I have an external hard drive connected to a computer
via eSATA. This is partially hotplauggable, if the hard drive was
connected and powered on during reboot, I can disconnect the drive and
plug it in again after a few days and the system can access it alright.
However, I don't know if this is just sheer luck or good engineering by
the kernel folks. I was not brave enough to ask on LKML :)

Greetings

Carsten