trying to understand dmesg

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sun Mar 25 17:57:56 UTC 2007

On Sunday 25 March 2007 16:31, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 01:23:34AM +0200, Dimitri Mallis wrote:
> >   12. input: PC Speaker as /class/input/input1
>
> The kernel detected that you have a PC Speaker.  I've no idea why it is
> registered as an input device.

A speaker can be used as a microphone - maybe it is used as input for
surveilance (think 1984)?

> >   19. lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
>
> lo usually refers to the virtual loopback network interface.  I've no
> idea what those privacy extensions are.

Ah yes, more evidance - you don't need privacy extensions if Big Brother
is watching you.

Well - just kidding.

OTOH - speaker used as microphone works quite well, I used it as a kid to
listen to conversations of the grownups :)

Nils