Shutdown from start scripts

Charles Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Sun Mar 25 15:11:29 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-24 at 00:48 +0100, Josef Wolf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I noticed that shutdown from scripts in /etc/rcS.d don't really work.
>
> For example, when fsck for some filesystems fails at startup, you
> are thrown into a shell to fix the problem.  From that shell, you
> have no chance to make a proper reboot.  I have tried:
>
>   - shutdown -r now
>   - init 6
>   - reboot
>   - halt
>
> It don't really make a difference how I try to reboot.  I alwas get
> thrown out and the boot process continues.  Finally I get the login
> prompt.  But I did _not_ want to continue the boot.  I said I want
> to _shutdown_.  Why is this ignored?  Is this a problem caused by
> the change to upstart?
>
> Any ideas what I am missing here?  How do I properly reboot from
> a script in /etc/rcS.d?
>
> BTW: I use Edgy.

I don't know if this will work in Edgy, but in Dapper, I discovered that
using Ctrl-Alt-F1 to change screens and then using the shutdown commands
sometimes is effective. Also, using a simple "exit" somestimes works.
--
Charlie Kravetz
cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Linux User #425914
ref link http://counter.li.org/
Helping end multiple sclerosis ONE step at a time.