got ubuntu, lost xp

kane wilkinson kane_sk8er at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 24 10:50:22 UTC 2007

no the same thing happens> Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 21:25:28 -0400> From: matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> Subject: Re: got ubuntu, lost xp> > sdavmor wrote:> > kane wilkinson wrote:> >> ill start from the beginning: i downloaded and tested the iso image> >> and it was fine so i burned it to a disc and thought i would try it> >> to see what it was like, i was going to back up my files before but> >> my backup program wouldn't work so i just thought ill try it and> >> then back up my files if i wanted to install it but it froze so i> >> held the power button to turn it off (the cd is still in the drive)> >> and i rebooted into ubuntu and turned it off and took out the disc.> >> i then tried booting back into xp but it came up with the black> >> screen and showing a message: disc read error occurred press> >> ctrl+alt+delete to restart so now i can only boot with the disc in.> > > > Sounds like the mbr got stepped on. As mentioned elsewhere in this> > thread you should try a fixmbr from the windows recovery console> > before anything more dramatic.> > I don't see why just running the LiveCD would mess up the MBR.  Somebody> else reported a similar error message, but I don't remember the> resolution (if any).  When you get the disk error, what happens if you> just restart (without putting the disk in)?  It may snap out of it.> > Matthew Flaschen> > -- > ubuntu-users mailing list> ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users