Network Manager Patch

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Fri Mar 23 09:24:45 UTC 2007

On 03/22/2007 08:58 PM, Matthew Flaschen wrote:

Thank you Matthew for the instructions.  As I mentioned to Matthew off
the list, it appears that there are two patches in the page I linked, I
don't know if that's the trouble Matthew ran into.  I parsed out what I
believe to be the correct patch and followed instructions, but have a
problem.  Please see below.
> Okay, that's understandable.  It's a source code diff.  A diff is
> basically just that, the "difference" between two versions of the source
> code.  That means with the old version and the patch, you can make the
> new version.  The program you need for this conversion is patch.  The
> real problem is finding the right source code to start from.  I tried
> this with (on the command-line).  It might not work (it didn't for me),
> so don't get discouraged.:
>
> mkdir NetworkManager
> cd NetworkManager
> apt-get source network-manager
>
> That gets the version of the source code used for network-manager (in
> Dapper in my case).
>
> Then, I put the diff (at the bottom of the page you linked to) into a
> file (which I've attached) into the NetworkManager directory.
>
> Then, (starting in the NetworkManager directory)
>
> cd network-manager-*
> cp ../atheros.patch .
> patch -p0 < atheros.patch

I got to this point and received what I take to be an error.  Here is
the out put of the command followed by the contents of the file listed
in the output:

patton at Mycroft:~/NetworkManager/network-manager-0.6.3$ patch -p0  <
atheros.patch
patching file src/nm-device-802-11-wireless.c
Hunk #1 succeeded at 117 (offset -4 lines).
Hunk #4 FAILED at 1308.
Hunk #5 succeeded at 3309 with fuzz 1 (offset 114 lines).
src/nm-device-802-11-wireless.c.rej

=======================

And here is the contents of file src/nm-device-802-11-wireless.c.rej

***************
*** 1306,1312 ****
  #endif
          if (iw_get_stats (nm_dev_sock_get_fd (sk), iface, &stats,
&range, has_range) == 0)
          {
-             percent = wireless_qual_to_percent (&stats.qual, (const
iwqual *)(&self->priv->max_qual),
                      (const iwqual *)(&self->priv->avg_qual));
          }
          nm_dev_sock_close (sk);
--- 1308,1314 ----
  #endif
          if (iw_get_stats (nm_dev_sock_get_fd (sk), iface, &stats,
&range, has_range) == 0)
          {
+             percent = wireless_qual_to_percent (NM_DEVICE (self),
&stats.qual, (const iwqual *)(&self->priv->max_qual),
                      (const iwqual *)(&self->priv->avg_qual));
          }
          nm_dev_sock_close (sk);

I stopped at this point.  I really don't want to render NM useless.  Any
thoughts?  Matthew had suggested I'd find that the madwifi patch was
already in place when I downloaded the source.  i didn't find it where
it should have been.

Should I carry on with trying to build with the patch?  If so, can
anyone tell me in advance how to get back to where I am not if it fails?

Thanks for all thoughts,

Patton