checking amount of memory

MICHAEL WEAVER michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 20 21:41:38 UTC 2007

Is there a way of checking the amount of memory in Ubuntu?
I want to be able to check things like memory on my laptop which is
running Edgy to find out:
1 why I can't run a Ubuntu Live CD with Orca.
2 Why I can't install Ubuntu myself without Sighted assistance and
without using the Alternate CD which as yet doesn't work with a
screenreader, the Desktop CD is supposed to be installable with the Orca
screenreader but I have not yet managed to get this running for the
install on either my laptop or desktop so I am wondering if both lack
the necessary memory to run both speech and the installer which might
explain why I can only get basic navigation on the desktop machine but
no speech at all on the laptop.