Requesting a new package

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Tue Mar 20 20:21:28 UTC 2007

Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> I've recently come across two GNU licensed Java based apps which I think
> would be great additions to the Ubuntu Repository and (GNU/Linux in
> general). Until recently/soon Java based apps haven't been very popular
> with Linux distributions because of Java being closed source - but now
> that it's open this problem is gone.

Sun has promised to free Java this year, but so far only the compiler
and virtual machine have been released.  However, there are existing
free Java implementations (e.g. GCJ and Classpath), so that's not really
an issue.

> So, how do I request a new package? I can't find anything about it
> anywhere.

See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Packages/Candidates

It looks like you want to file a launchpad bug with the tag
needs-packaging .

Matt Flaschen