keeping time

Jeffrey F. Bloss jbloss at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Mar 20 01:57:33 UTC 2007

Mikus Grinbergs wrote:

> I have an Ubuntu 6.10 system running 24/7 which gains more
> than two hours every week.
>
> For the purposes of this discussion, assume that the system
> has *no* external inputs -- only me at the console -- no
> network connection of any kind.
>
> What can I set_up / tweak so that the time being kept by
> the system is more accurate ?

Welcome to a less than accurate real time clock being "read" in a way
less than accurate fashion. Or not at all if you're never rebooting. ;)

I'm not sure how you might want to go about making anything close to
"perfect" adjustments, but the command you're probably looking for is
'hwclock'. It can set your system time to "BIOS" time directly, and you
should be able to use it to determine a fairly accurate rate of even
hardware clock drift, and after that's known, to further adjust your
time if needed.

man hwclock

...for more info.

--
     _?_      Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
    (o o)         Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.