Basic newbie question

jerry jerryturba at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 19 08:09:02 UTC 2007

I've been using Kubuntu (KDE) for a while now and really like it for it
ease of use and have had very few problems. I am running Dapper 6.06
LTS. I am embarrassed to ask such a basic question but I have not been
able to figure out a solution.

I frequently see instructions such as: "The easiest way to do this is by
going to System -> Administration -> Networking and then going to
"Properties" of each connection. In Properties, just /untick/ the
"Enable this connection" checkbox. Logout then log back in again. These
connections should now be available in Network Manager."

My question is not specifically related to configuring Network Manager
but I cannot find the links System ->Admin -> Network. If I click on the
large K at the bottom left of the screen to bring up the menu I have 2
options that contain the word System. One is System which opens a
submenu that has applications such as Adept, Kcron, Synaptic, etc. but
no entry for administration. The other is System Settings and this opens
another large screen with options for Personal, Hardware, Internet and
Networking, and System Administration. Under Sys Admin there is no
option for Network only things like date and time, login manager, etc.
Under Internet & Net there  is an option for Network Settings but  under
Network Settings I cannot find any Properties link with the checkbox.

My question is not specifically related to configuring Network Manager
but "Where do I locate the the stated links "System -> Administration ->
Networking". I have seen many similar instructions for many different
problems but I don't know how to find the correct links. The stated path
to follow does not seem to exist on my system.

Thanks for any help.
Jerry