[Feisty] Normal ways to kill xserver don't work

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sun Mar 18 17:49:54 UTC 2007

Ari Torhamo wrote:
> su, 2007-03-18 kello 04:22 -0400, Matthew Flaschen kirjoitti:
>>>
>>> Hmmm... this produced a seeminly normal boot to the graphical desktop.
>>> The line "quiet" was there, but "splash" wasn't.
>> Then you didn't do what I said. :)  Try again, and be sure to remove
>> *both* "quiet" and "splash", and add "single" (no quotes for any).
>> Reply back with the grub command you run, and the result.
>>
>> P.S.  Ctrl-Alt-Backspace or Ctrl-Alt-F1 should work, but I've had them
>> fail on Ubuntu Edgy.
>

> You didn't read what I said ;-) Quoting my previous message: "The line
> "quiet" was there, but "splash" wasn't." I couldn't remove "splash"
> because I don't have it.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

> I removed "quiet" and added "single" to the end. Then I tried two ways
> of booting: by pressing "b" in Grub's edit mode

That should work.

> They both lead me to the graphical login.

You probably left it unattended.  You have to type in the root password
within a certain amount of time

 I noticed though that the changes I made
> weren't saved - is this normal?

Yes, I think.  Grub doesn't have write access to the disks.

> Isn't there any way in Ubuntu to boot straight to the command line other
> than to choose the recovery mode from the boot menu?

I don't think so.  What I told you is equivalent to recovery mode.  I'm
sorry that doesn't work for you.

> The problems you had with Edgy make me think even more that I'm
> suffering from a bug here.

I agree.  I was just trying to help you work around it.

Matt Flaschen