[OT] newbuilt computer won't start

Jeffrey F. Bloss jbloss at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Mar 17 07:01:11 UTC 2007

Mikael Backman wrote:

> the mobo, cpu and memory is new... it's not compltly dead. cpu and
> sytemfan is runing. I can start and stop the computer with the
> powerswitch connected to the mobo.. Seems like it never runs POST in
> bios..  I don't know what to do now.. Any help would be apreciated...

If you're not getting POST errors/beeps either you have no PC speaker
hooked up (or simulated by an on board sound card), or something is
preventing POST. Quite often this is caused by something "stupid" like a
misaligned or reversed connector. Check power, RAM, and hard drive
connections/seating/orientation first. They're the most likely
culprits. Unplug things and look for bent pins too, including the CPU.

If you don't find something "stupid", the general routine is to strip
the machine down to bare essentials. Start with the PC speaker, power
supply, and power switch, if possible. Hopefully the POST errors you
get will be RAM errors according to your motherboard manual. Hopefully
you have a motherboard manual. ;-)

If you get a memory error, add the memory. One stick at a time. Cycle
power and decipher your POST errors. Next add video if it's not onboard,
then drives, and so on until you get an unusual POST error or things
just die completely. That should tell you which component or
"subsystem" is causing you grief. Then back up a step or two and
recheck just to make sure you haven't inadvertently misaligned or
otherwise screwed up a connection. ;)

--
     _?_      Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
    (o o)         Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.