Upgrade to Feisty breaks FireHOL or possibly iptables

Lorenzo Taylor lorenzo at taylor.homelinux.net
Fri Mar 16 10:26:44 UTC 2007

I just upgraded from Edgy to Feisty, but found that my firewall is no
longer working.  I get a stream of iptables errors that look like

ERROR   : # 67.
WHAT    : A runtime command failed to execute (returned error 2).
SOURCE  : line INIT of /etc/firehol/firehol.conf
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_gateway1_ftp_s3 -p tcp --sport
1000:65535 --dport 1000:65535 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT  :

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ERROR   : # 68.
WHAT    : A runtime command failed to execute (returned error 2).
SOURCE  : line FIN of /etc/firehol/firehol.conf
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_gateway1 -m state '' --state
RELATED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT  :

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ERROR   : # 69.
WHAT    : A runtime command failed to execute (returned error 2).
SOURCE  : line FIN of /etc/firehol/firehol.conf
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_gateway1 -m state '' --state
RELATED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT  :

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ERROR   : # 70.
WHAT    : A runtime command failed to execute (returned error 2).
SOURCE  : line FIN of /etc/firehol/firehol.conf
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A INPUT -m state '' --state RELATED
- -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT  :

These errors seem to cover every rule FireHOL is generating.  Has
something changed in iptables that is causing this problem?  Do I need
to use a firewall builder other than FireHOL or possibly use iptables
directly?

Thanks for any help,
Lorenzo
- --
I've always found anomalies to be very relaxing. It's a curse.
- --Jadzia Dax: Star Trek Deep Space Nine (The Assignment)