[Problem Found] Re: [Feisty] Today's updates (2.6.20-10) killed my nic

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Fri Mar 16 03:55:11 UTC 2007

On 03/15/2007 04:49 PM, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 08:00 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>> Doesn't matter that the NM is for wireless networks & you may not have
>> wireless device in your system
>
> Wrong. As I have already posted in this thread, starting with Feisty, NM
> takes care of all network connections. Read the spec
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/network-roaming

Actually it doesn't (at least not yet). It breaks them. Removing NM
networking using a static IP works just fine; using it, networking does
not work & /etc/init.d/networking restart gets it going again.

Following on from that link via network-roaming rather than
network-manager I see that this is an ongoing problem:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?field.searchtext=network-roaming
All undecided & all but 1 unconfirmed.

and others along with mine filed via network-manager:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bugs
If you search by newest first, there are quite a few unconfirmed/

#   Open  (172)
# Critical (0)
# Unconfirmed (90)
# Unassigned (158)

Following further on the link you provided:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=299462 from that link is even
more confusing (to me at least) as it is not apparent that is related to
the NetworkManager Applet 0.6.4 (copyright Novell & Redhat)
http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/ that we are talking about.

Heck, I'm not attempting to discredit anyone, I think that Feisty is
super. However, it seems to me that these issues are critcal to the beta
release. And given the large amount of reports I'm somewhat confused,
curious why the status is largely unconfirmed/unassigned. Broken basic
networking would be at the top of my priority list over gnome icon
themes & session splashes etc.