Linux en Dells

James Gray james.gray at dot.com.au
Fri Mar 16 03:28:32 UTC 2007

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> James Gray wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 03:33:32 am Eamonn Sullivan wrote:
>>> Actually, I think it doesn't matter at all what distro Dell picks.
>> I disagree slightly with this statement.  Whilst most (all?) Linux distro's
>> are "free" as in "speech", they are not all "free" as in "beer".  RedHat
>> Enterprise Desktop and SuSE Enterprise Desktop both cost $$ in licensing
>> fees.
>
> These also have substantial portions that aren't free as in speech.

Indeed, which along with the bundled "support", adds to the cost in the
form of licensing fees for redistribution etc.  I hope they (Dell)
simply settle on a hardware configuration that is Linux-friendly, bundle
a totally free Linux distro (Ubuntu of course! :P) and leave it at that.
  Corporates will always hose the default and install their own standard
operating environment regardless.

Cheers,

James