LTS Release Schedule?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Thu Mar 15 23:29:28 UTC 2007

Dave M <DaveM at Mich.Com> wrote:
> What is the release schedule for the LTS (Long Term Support) releases of
> Ubuntu? I am using V6.06 and am curious as to when to expect the next LTS
> release.

AFAIK, there is no schedule for LTS. The only thing you can be
pretty sure of, is that the next LTS will be released before the
previous one becomes unsupported, since the whole point of LTS is to
satisfy business who require support, so it would be a suicide for
Canonical, not to release a new LTS before dropping the first one.
So, that means the next LTS will be released in about 4 years
(server) maximum, or maybe only 2 years if you consider the desktop
version.

> Also, will the next LTS release allow upgrades from the previous
> LTS release or will I have to upgrade through all of the interim releases
> first?

Don't worry. IIRC, I am pretty sure they will support LTS to LTS
upgrades. After all, businesses will likely only run LTS releases, so
Canonical can't possibly expect them to upgrade to half a dozen
interim releases in order to get to the next LTS...

--
Vince