problem with gnucash resolved

Wei-Yee Chan chanweiyee at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 20:08:54 UTC 2007

MICHAEL WEAVER wrote:

> However I have four saving accounts and it seems to only be adding up
> the 3, the fourth account seems to be just totaled on its own.

Most probably, the fourth one was created as a parent account, distinct
from the other three accounts.

> How do I resolve this?
> should I be selecting parent after each one after the first one instad
> of clicking on the New Button when I am filling in the account details
> which is why it is doing something strange with my total?
The parent account will display the total of all the accounts under it.
For instance, if U have "Cash at bank" as a parent account, then the
figure of "Cash at bank" will be the total of all your individual bank
accounts created under it.

I suppose U already have a top-level account named "Assets"?  What I
might suggest U do is create a parent account under it and call it
"Savings accounts".  After that, create all your four accounts *under*
this account.

If your not familiar with drawing up the chart of accounts, then I might
suggest that U use a default GNUCash template and customise the accounts
from there.

Regards,

Wei-Yee Chan
http://chanweiyee.blogspot.com