Feisty Upgrade

Gabriel Dragffy dragffy at yandex.ru
Wed Mar 14 19:43:30 UTC 2007

John Graddy wrote:
> The latest upgrade evidently introducd a CUPS error.  After the upgrade
> I no longer have any printers available.
>
> I got the following:
>

> Setting up poppler-utils (0.5.4-0ubuntu6) ...
>
> Setting up cupsys (1.2.8-0ubuntu5) ...
>
> * Starting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd cupsd: Child exited with
> status 2!
>
> invoke-rc.d: initscript cupsys, action "start" failed.
>
> dpkg: error processing cupsys (--configure):
>
> subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
>
> Setting up deskbar-applet (2.18.0-0ubuntu1) ...
>

> Setting up libpanel-applet2-0 (2.18.0-0ubuntu2) ...
>

> Setting up gnome-panel-data (2.18.0-0ubuntu2) ...
>
> desktop configuration
>

> Setting up gnome-panel (2.18.0-0ubuntu2) ...

> cupsys

> A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
>
> Setting up cupsys (1.2.8-0ubuntu5) ...
>
> * Starting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd cupsd: Child exited with
> status 2!
>
> invoke-rc.d: initscript cupsys, action "start" failed.
>
> dpkg: error processing cupsys (--configure):
>
> subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2

> cupsys
>
> Any help would be appreciated.  I have "googled" everything that I can
> think of without coming up with a solution.
>
> John

Oh no! This is tragic!!! I have the same, but what's even worse is that
bluez-cups hplip cupsys-driver-gutenprint won't install or configure
correctly because they all depend on cupsys which is screwed.

Mmmm guess that's what happens when you run dev software. Have to say
that so far feisty has been more stable than both dapper and edgy. I had
an uptime of 2.5 days on my desktop, with only one crash in openoffice.
Not bad eh! Now that printing is out of the window I'm going to be a bit
lost ;)