ntp-server broken on dapper?

Kristian Rink kristian at zimmer428.net
Tue Mar 13 09:09:59 UTC 2007

Folks;

trying to set up a local NTP server using the ntp-server package on
Dapper, so far I constantly fail:

- Installing and configuring ntp-server seems to make the server run
well on the machine it is supposed to run on. So far, so good. ntpq
shows peers the machine is connected to. Fine.

- Trying to use ntpdate to that machine from another host, however,
does not work, always ending up with a "no server can be used. exiting".

- Likewise, having ntp-server installed on another machine and making
the first (supposed-to-be-LAN-wide-ntp-) server machine the default
server to synchronize with, there, I don't get any meaningful results:

(machine 1: "local ntp server")

ntpq> peers
jitter
+fiordland.ubunt 193.79.237.14    2 u   47   64   77   36.003   58.381
32.598
*chime2.surfnet. .GPS.            1 u    2   64  177   27.645   36.230
53.241
 localhost       .INIT.          16 l    -   64    0    0.000    0.000
4000.00

(machine 2: "local client")
ntpq> peers
jitter
192.168.10.253  .INIT.          16 u   69  256    0    0.000    0.000
4000.00

Messing with the "restrict" options in ntp.conf on the server doesn't
really change things here, unfortunately. And it also seems ntp-server
doesn't provide any sort of meaningful log output, making things a lot
worse. Can anyone help me outta here? Is anything broken or am I just
too stupid?

Thanks in advance and bye,
Kristian

--