Can't Query External Serial Modem

Badger badgerclan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 01:02:51 UTC 2007

Have you visited:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto

On 3/12/07, Bernard Helyer <b.helyer at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hey, this is my first ever mailing-list message, so don't be to offended
> if
> I make a huge mistake.
>
> Okay, I'm running Ubuntu 6.10 x86 on a PC originating from about 1999
> (Compaq Deskpro EP).
> I am dual booting between Windows XP Professional SP2 and Ubuntu. The only
> reason I still have the Windows partition is because my winmodem is
> unsupported in Linux, as far as I can tell.
>
> So I sucked it up and bought a serial modem. I in fact have two; on is an
> old 14k one that was given to me, and the one I bought was a 56k 'Elsa
> MicroLink Fun Modem'. My problem is, neither Windows nor Ubuntu can query
> it
> (HyperTerminal in Windows, and Minicom in Linux, neither will respond to
> an
> AT command). If I run '$ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf' the lights
> flash
> on both modems, however wvdialconf responds that it can't find a modem,
> and
> have I configured it properly with setserial.
>
> I am 95% sure that the cables are correct, and about 70% sure that the
> modems work, but I am really at the end of myself. I have posted this on
> various forums, but haven't had much luck, so I thought I might get a
> better
> response here.
>
> Cheers,
> -Bernard.

Chris D. (Badger)

"What is time? The shadow on the dial, the striking of the clock, the
running of the sand, day and night, summer and winter, months, years,
centuries - these are but arbitrary and outward signs, the measure of Time,
not Time itself. Time is the Life of the soul."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow