No sound after upgrade to 2.6.17-11-generic

Carsten Aulbert carsten at welcomes-you.com
Mon Mar 12 07:47:22 UTC 2007

Ankur Jain wrote:

> I checked & verified that sound card, alsa, drivers are all installed,
> also verified the alsamixer sound settings, everything is fine, but no
> sound.
>
> Now, even if I boot to 2.6.17-10-generic kernel, there is no sound. On
> Windows, it's working fine (I mean no hardware error). My sound card is
> Nvidia Nforce2 based AC97.

I had the same problem (with a different sound card, good ol'
Soundblaster PCI 128) and for me the solution was to run alsamixer and
unmute one of the input channels (line in or PCM IIRC). I ran alsamixer
multiple times but always overlooked that little mute "symbol" there -
so you might have missed that as well.

I hope that's all you need.

Carsten