Automatically Mounting a Network Folder

Markus Hitter mah at jump-ing.de
Sun Mar 11 07:42:51 UTC 2007

Am 11.03.2007 um 05:31 schrieb H.S.Rai:

> On 3/10/07, David Stubblebine <dstubb.mylists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The school I work in is primarily Mac OS X, and our students have
>> folders on our Mac OS X server to access their personal files.  We
>> have installed ubuntu on some older iMacs, and I would like to have
>> the User Volume automatically mount when ubuntu logs in.  I can't
>> seem to get this to work in 6.06...I would like to have an smb shared
>
> As for as I know, MAC is like UNIX, and Smb is to access MSwindow
> files.

Well, as both, Mac OS X and Ubuntu have SMB server as well as SMB
client, it's technically possible to exchange files this way.
Nevertheless, this is far from optimum, especially in a Mac-centric
network. For connecting Macs together, you'd use AFP, which supports
a bunch of Mac-only features, like Finder Info. For connecting a Mac
to other Unices or vice-versa, you'd prefer NFS, as said.

> For your requirement, you can setup NFS (it should be already there),
> and then you can automount it.
>
> For more detail see:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo

For setting up NFS shares on Mac OS X, Marcel Bresink's NFSManager is
worth a look. Note: you can export a share via multiple protocols
simultanuously. It's no problem to add NFS on the server while
maintaining SMB for the M$ buddies.

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/