Help required with ext3 partion on Edgy-Eft - V6.10

Romeo Dionne romeo.dionne at yahoo.ca
Sat Mar 10 21:12:43 UTC 2007

Mario,

This is the readout from mount as requested:

   <!--
@media print, projection, embossed {
	body {
		padding-top:1in;
		padding-bottom:1in;
		padding-left:1in;
		padding-right:1in;
	}
}
body {
	font-family:'Times New Roman';
	color:#000000;
	widows:2;
	font-style:normal;
	text-indent:0in;
	font-variant:normal;
	font-size:12pt;
	text-decoration:none;
	font-weight:normal;
	text-align:left;
}
table {
}
td {
	border-collapse:collapse;
	text-align:left;
	vertical-align:top;
}
p, h1, h2, h3, li {
	color:#000000;
	font-family:'Times New Roman';
	font-size:12pt;
	text-align:left;
	vertical-align:normal;
}
     -->

   Password:

   root at greywolf:~# mount

   /dev/hdb1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)

   proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

   /sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

   varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755)

   varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)

   procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

   udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)

   devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)

   lrm on /lib/modules/2.6.17-11-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw)

   /dev/hdb9 on /home type ext3 (rw)

   /dev/sda1 on /linuxfiles type ext3 (rw,noatime)

   /dev/hdb8 on /tmp type ext3 (rw)

   /dev/hdb6 on /usr type ext3 (rw)

   /dev/hdb7 on /var type ext3 (rw)

   /dev/sdb1 on /winfiles type ntfs (rw,nls=utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46)

   /dev/hda1 on /winxp type ntfs (rw,nls=utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46)

   binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)

   root at greywolf:~#

I had sent a previous message with screen prints but tha proved unfortunate as the message exceed 40kb. the error message from the systems settings screen reads like this:
 "  "UUID=d4231fcd-b695-40bf-87fa-d62e84377ca7" does not seemto be a device and the option "bind" has not been specified in the "Advanced Page?  Should I add the "loop" option?" "

I answered "yes" and now when I go back to the same screen, the only option shown is "loop". But I still don't have write access to the drive.

ps the drive is shown as owned by root in the permissions screen.