Installing ubuntu on external hard disk

Jared Buck jared.buck at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 16:07:11 UTC 2007

Okay, I tried that.  did all the commands up to making the .iso image
to burn onto a cd, i typed the command:

sudo mkisofs -R -b boot/grub/stage2_eltorito -no-emul-boot
-boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o UbuntuBootCDForUSB.iso
 bootcd

I'm doing this from the home directory as that documentation
specifies.  (my home directory)

When I do that I get the message:

I: -input-charset not specified, using utf-8 (detected in locale settings)
Using MENU000.LST;1 for  bootcd/grub/menu.lst~ (menu.lst)
genisoimage: Uh oh, I cant find the boot image 'boot/grub/stage2_eltorito' !

When i change directory to move to the /bootUSBCD directory (which is
where the files for doing this are stored:

I: -input-charset not specified, using utf-8 (detected in locale settings)
Using MENU000.LST;1 for  bootcd/grub/menu.lst~ (menu.lst)
genisoimage: Uh oh, I cant find the boot image 'boot/grub/stage2_eltorito' !

Which creates the .iso file, but corrupts it so it can't be used.

Same message.  So now I move up to the bootcd directory inside this.
Only the /boot and /grub directories are inside it.

I: -input-charset not specified, using utf-8 (detected in locale settings)
genisoimage: No such file or directory. Invalid node - 'bootcd'.

Doesn't make the .iso file.

Am I doing something wrong here?  I want to make the .iso file so I
can boot into the ubuntu system on my external drive.  I've followed
the instructions at the link you gave me to the letter.

Jared