Laptop Reccomendation

Jim Smith jim at oz.net
Fri Mar 9 00:52:39 UTC 2007

Scott W. McMikle wrote:
> I would like to purchase a used older laptop and my intent is to run
> Ubuntu on it.  My plan is to surf the web, run Openoffice, and a GPS
> navigation program.  I am curious to what others have been sucessful with.
>
> Scott
I'm using a Sony VAIO VGN-FJ250P (widescreen) Pentium M, 1Gb RAM, 100Gb
HDD and DVD-RW. Almost everything worked at installation with a couple
of minor exceptions. The DVD-RW drive is not recognised at bootup UNLESS
there is a disc in the drive. Odd problem and one I've never heard of
before. Workaround of course is to leave a disc in the drive at all
times. Drive is OK as WinXPPro has no trouble with it. The built in
webcam hasn't worked yet but truth be told I've not given it a serious
look yet. WiFi was a nuisance at first but I installed KWFiManager and
now have no problems with it. This unit is Intel Centrino, so its all
Intel, graphics, WiFi and sound, no problems except as above.

Your mileage may vary.

Jim