Installing ubuntu on external hard disk

Jared Buck jared.buck at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 21:01:11 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I'm wanting to install ubuntu on an external hard drive (which is designated
/dev/sda by the system), and partition it into two parts, an ext3 system and
a swap partition, the ext3 system is labled sda1.  Now, the installation
appeared to go well.  But when I try to boot into the ubuntu system on the
external drive, it gives me an error message:

ALERT! /dev/sda1 does not exist.  Dropping to a shell!

Later i get:

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off.

/dev/sda1 does exist as evidenced by this command:

*-disk
       product: 1A
       vendor: ST350064
       physical id: 0.0.0
       bus info: scsi at 1:0.0.0
       logical name: /dev/sda
       version: 3.AA
       serial: 3PM0SCYV
       size: 465GB
       capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
     *-volume:0
          physical id: 1
          bus info: scsi at 1:0.0.0,1
          logical name: /dev/sda1
          capacity: 464GB
          capabilities: primary bootable
     *-volume:1
          physical id: 2
          bus info: scsi at 1:0.0.0,2
          logical name: /dev/sda2
          size: 1474MB
          capacity: 1474MB
          capabilities: primary extended partitioned partitioned:extended
        *-logicalvolume
             physical id: 5
             logical name: /dev/sda5
             capacity: 1474MB
             capabilities: nofs

I want to run ubuntu off the external drive to have more room on my internal
drive for my windoze installation, as my external drive has 500 GB of
space.  What do I need to do to fix the problem so ubuntu will boot off the
external drive so i can use that drive for my ubuntu needs?

Jared