Laptop Reccomendation

sdavmor sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Thu Mar 8 18:58:15 UTC 2007

Scott W. McMikle wrote:
> I would like to purchase a used older laptop and my intent is to
> run Ubuntu on it. My plan is to surf the web, run Openoffice, and a
>  GPS navigation program. I am curious to what others have been
> sucessful with.
>
> Scott

I have a 7 year old Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600. You can probably get
one of these used for $200-300 on Ebay.

The laptop is a PIII 800mhz. It came standard with 128MB of PC100 but
will take up to 512MB of PC100 (maybe will use PC133 but I haven't
tried it). It had a 20gb hard drive in it. I replaced that with a 60gb
4 years ago.

It has a built-in Wireless-B adapter, a 100mb wired ethernet, 56kb
modem jack, 2 USB-1 ports, 1 serial, 1 parallel, 1 external SVGA, +
the keyboard and mouse PS-2 connectors. It has a floppy and a DVD (8x,
read only).I bought a PCMCIA wireless card for it to use Wireless-G (a
cheapo Airlink card).

I was running Edgy on it A-OK. Last weekend I upgraded it to Feisty
Herd 5 and everything I ran before runs fine.
--
Cheers,
SDM -- a 21st century schizoid man