Test of Feisty Fawn - Herd

sdavmor sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Thu Mar 8 17:00:41 UTC 2007

Alain Muls wrote:
> Hi
>
> I tried out Feisty Fawn on a Dell Inspiron 9300 form the CD.
> Everything worked fine. Great work, I was especially impressed with
> the network manager setup which was the first to detect correctly
> the card and present the settings for my WPA network.
>
> I also tried it on my daughter's PC, here the WPA option was not
> available. Could that be due to a rather olf D-Link 850 wireless
> card with no support for WPA (I thought that the encryption part is
> only software related?)
>
> I also wanted to have a look at the new "control panel", but I had
> the old style with cascading menus. Also I did not fin da way to
> try out the 3D effects of Compiz or Beryl.

I just put Herd 5 onto my 7 year old Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600
laptop (800 mhz PIII, 384kb RAM), and done a couple of software
patch upgrades since. It works like a charm. Very easy automatic
recognition of my airlink PCMCIA wireless LAN card and attachment
to my Linksys WAP. Graphics were perfect straight out of the box
without any tinkering. Other than I now want to add another 128mb
of RAM to compensate for slightly less sharp desktop response time,
I'm impressed with FF.

I haven't tried upgrading my AMD-K7 based development desktop yet.
I'll probably wait on that for the production release.
--
Cheers,
SDM -- a 21st century schizoid man