How to erase Linux?

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 6 15:45:53 UTC 2007

Gabriel Dragffy wrote:
> How how would even the NSA recover meaningful data after 25 re-writes,
> voodoo magic? :P

Magnetic force microscopy using an AFM, for one. I can't find any images
right now but in some pictures I've seen you can see an erased path down
the centre of the track and original data down both sides. Quite easy to
read on the MFM image and I'd guess you might be able to build
specialized magnetic read heads to just read those portions of the track.

Burn and smash the disk if you really want to hide the data :)

Cheers, Dave