Ubuntu i386 - stumped

Phil Pinkerton pcpinkerton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 10:19:29 UTC 2007

I just fixed a broken feisty using the Herd5 alternate CD
( the process system  had died earlier in the middle of a feisty upgrade
and would not boot anymore )
SO I burned a new Herd5 alternate CD to see if I could fix it.

I was able to get the # prompt on the root partition via the alternate CD
>From there I did an apt-get update, which came with a dpkg --configure
-a message which I entered and the " upgrade process " continued.

When it finished I then did another apt-get update, which was
successful, then  I did another apt-get upgrade which completed
successfully with zero new, zero upgraded, so I new I was cool for the
upgrade.

At that point I tried booting the system ( via the CD )  but it failed
to find a root param to boot ( I think the kernel was broken ).

So back to the cd and this time I got the # prompt again on the system
and did a apt-get dist-upgrade ( my last attempt before doing a complete
re-install )

The dist-upgrade completed, I was then able to re-boot the main
hard-drive ( Herd5 ) and my system with all the stuff I had configured
was still intact ( even the web cam was still working )

I am back in business and a happy camper. I really did not want to
re-install

The New feisty Herd5 alternate CD is great !!

Thanks