Ubuntu Edgy Updates

Denis Witt witt at cat06.de
Mon Mar 5 09:52:14 UTC 2007

Tortise schrieb:

> That is, how can I download them once and distribute these to the
> other PCs on the LAN?  (Short of possibly setting up a mirror from
> http://apt-mirror.sourceforge.net/?)

I like to use apt-cacher. It works together with a webserver and acts
like a caching proxy for apt. The only thing you have to do is to
install the package on one machine and change your sources.list to use
the apt-cacher-PC for downloading the packages.

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-security main restricted

will become:

deb http://yourserver/apt-cacher/security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
dapper-security main restricted

If the package is downloaded for the first time apt-cacher will save it
on the local PC. If another PC requests the same package it will be
delivered directly over your LAN.

I prefer using apt-cacher instead of apt-mirror because you will save a
lot of disk-space and time doing the initial downloads.

HTH,
Bye!