Stop me before I go an' rm -rf / my feisty install!!

Gabriel Dragffy dragffy at yandex.ru
Sun Mar 4 23:45:35 UTC 2007

Michael R. Head wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-03-04 at 21:47 +0000, Gabriel Dragffy wrote:
>> This is really getting on my nerves:
>>
>> Have a laptop running feisty, with an Epson computer connected via USB.
>> It can print to it no problem. This printer is shared using Samba, and
>> I'm sure that is configured OK because I can print to the Espon from a
>> remote XP computer. If XP can do something then Linux *must* be able to
>> do it!
>>
>> However, no matter what I try from a feisty based client it won't
>> print!! I have tried using Unix printing, CUPS printing, and could even
>> choose windows printing and browse through the network, found the server
>> computer and the Epson printer. All settings appear to be A-OK, but
>> ultimately there's no joy.
>>
>> Since I am sure the config is OK because XP printed without a hitch and
>> I have tried everything I know in linux I am at a loss. Suggestions are
>> most welcome!!
>
> What is the model? Do you have the right CUPS driver? Can you attach the
> laptop directly to the printer and print? How is authentication with the
> windows XP box set up? Can you browse network drives on the print server
> machine?

Hi, it's an Epson CX 3600, so there are drivers for it in Ubuntu. I
think I mentioned that it prints OK from the actual laptop (Feisty), and
from a remote XP too. Samba is set with "share" authentication, to avoid
the use of passwords etc. I can certainly browse other samba shares on
the print server, in fact I have only one share, and that is accessed OK
by Ubuntu Dapper, Ubuntu Feisty, OS X Tiger and Win XP.
Everything seems to work swimmingly except when it comes to getting
Linux to Linux printing. :/