If I switch OS's will I be able to...

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sun Mar 4 09:10:58 UTC 2007

Chris wrote:
> Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>> Chris wrote:

>>> Heya folks - so far, all is good. I was able to pull in my T-Bird email
>>> and Firefox favs into my Ubu install. The mounting of my FreeBSD (ufs)
>>> mp3 drive was just as Matt mentioned.
>> You mean the installer auto-detects it?  That's good.
>>
>>> I'm currently copying the file to a temp dir so I can format the 2nd
>>> sata drive.
>>>
>>> So far - everything is falling into place as I hoped it would.
>>>
>>> I'll keep you posted as this conversion moves on.
>>>
>>> Again - thank you Matt for the info
>> You're welcome.  Thanks for keeping us posted.
>>
>> Matthew Flaschen
>>

> Question - now that I have my MP3's moved to a Linux drive, how do I
> format the 2nd sata drive then perm-mount it?

There should be a program on the installer CD called GTParted
(http://gparted.sourceforge.net/).  I believe this can handle the
reformat easiest.  The interface should be pretty obvious.
Alternatively, also while booted to the CD, run:

parted /dev/sdb

To determine the right value for /dev/sdb , run mount again (while
booted into Ubuntu, not the LiveCD).  Use the alphabetical part of the
/dev/sd*.  Like if it says /dev/sdb1 is mounted on /mp3 , you would use
/dev/sdb .

Then in parted:

print

It should show only one partition, labelled 1.  Type:

mkfs 1 ext2your drives :) and have never used GParted, only QTParted.
Luckily,

Huge disclaimer!  Obviously untested.  I have used parted, but not with
your drives :) and have never used GParted, only QTParted.  Luckily,
you'r trying to erase data anyway. :)  Just make sure you have the right
drive (this should be obvious from the file system type)!

Good luck,

Matthew Flaschen

P.S. Reply to the list.