Network Printer Problem

jim barnes mail.list.mail at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 15:49:00 UTC 2007

On Friday 02 March 2007 17:00, Mike Adolf wrote:
> I just purchased an HP c5180 printer.  It is installed with a direct
> ethernet connection to a LAN port on my router. My machine is also a
> direct ethernet connection to the router. When I boot to Windows, the
> printer works fine. It also works fine on other wireless XP machines on
> the LAN.  Problem is I can't get Ubuntu 6.10 to detect it. In printer
> setup if I choose "network printer" it asks for a URL http://.... or
> ipp...  I have no idea what to put.  If it has a hostname, I don't know
> what it is and network ips are dynamic.  If I tell Ubuntu to detect it,
> it says 'none detected'.  HELP!

Most likely the printer is on a different subnet and can't be "seen" by ubuntu

In your printer documentation are directions for printing out the current
settings. Something akin to pressing a front panel botton for 3-6 seconds.
Then you can connect to your printers web gui setup utility (from a browser)
and change the ip as you see fit, or create a route to it as is.

HTH,
--
jim barnes