loss of restart and shutdown options in exit menu

Gabriel Dragffy dragffy at yandex.ru
Fri Mar 2 16:35:00 UTC 2007

Ouattara Oumar Aziz wrote:
> I had the same problem. Which version are you using ?
>
> check if you have the "halt" or "reboot" commands on bash. When it
> happened to me it turned out that something has removed them (along with
> the "init" command). To resolved this issue I did :
>
> ~$ apt-file search bin/halt
> klibc-utils: usr/lib/klibc/bin/halt
> klibc-utils: usr/lib/klibc/bin/halt
> molly-guard: usr/sbin/halt
> molly-guard: usr/sbin/halt
> sysvinit: sbin/halt
> sysvinit: sbin/halt
> upstart-compat-sysv: sbin/halt
> upstart-compat-sysv: sbin/halt
>
> then I installed sysvinit to get it back.

No joy I'm afraid, I have several instances of halt on my system,
according to slocate. If I try to install sysvinit it removes
ubuntu-minial and upstart-compat-sysvinit and several others. I did this
anyway and did get my options back. Then I reinstall ubuntu-minimal to
get back to where I was and still no joy. Hmmmm, more suggestions are
very welcome!