My trys to fix evolution crashing.

Kipton Moravec kip at kdream.com
Fri Mar 2 04:10:19 UTC 2007

I can't get Evolution 2.6 to start so I can't access any of the email
lists I already subscribe to for help.

I saw there was a documents site but got the message “The server at
doc.gwos.org is taking too long to respond.” And so I can't see if there
is anything there that will help my problem.

I have been using Evolution for about 18 months and have not had any
problems. Last weekend my ISP for my web site went AWOL and I had to
switch my email and web site to another ISP. The old ISP had me get my
email from smtp.mydomain.com and the new ISP has me use
mail.hisdomain.com. So Sunday I switched my DNS servers with Network
Solutions, and Sunday until Tuesday morning I was getting mail from both
places until the DNS servers were updated world wide. Then I shut down
the access to the old account. That happened Tuesday. I do not know if
it is relevant or not, I don't think so, but I am throwing it out there
in case it is.

I am not an expert at the inner workings or command line interface of
Ubuntu or Linux. I am generally a happy camper just using the GUI and
Synaptic Package Manager.

So I try to start evolution from the menu or the icon at the top of the
screen (I am using Gnome) and Ubuntu 6.06 LTS - the Dapper Drake. It
looks like something is starting, then nothing happens.

I figure there is a log file somewhere and I start searching. I
find /var/log/mail.err

--------
Mar 1 08:29:23 localhost postfix/master[4913]:
fatal: /etc/postfix/master.cf: line 84: bad hostname or network
address: ::1:smtp

Mar 1 08:41:55 localhost postfix/master[4905]:
fatal: /etc/postfix/master.cf: line 84: bad hostname or network
address: ::1:smtp
---------

I thought that was weird so I looked at /etc/postfix/master.cf, it says
it has not been modified since June 2006.

So I looked at line etc/postfix/master.cf:

---------
#
# Postfix master process configuration file. Each logical line
# describes how a Postfix daemon program should be run.
#
# A logical line starts with non-whitespace, non-comment text.
# Empty lines and whitespace-only lines are ignored, as are comment
# lines whose first non-whitespace character is a `#'.
# A line that starts with whitespace continues a logical line.
#
# The fields that make up each line are described below. A "-" field
# value requests that a default value be used for that field.
#
# Service: any name that is valid for the specified transport type
# (the next field). With INET transports, a service is specified as
# host:port. The host part (and colon) may be omitted. Either host
# or port may be given in symbolic form or in numeric form. Examples
# for the SMTP server: localhost:smtp receives mail via the loopback
# interface only; 10025 receives mail on port 10025.
#
# Transport type: "inet" for Internet sockets, "unix" for UNIX-domain
# sockets, "fifo" for named pipes.
#
# Private: whether or not access is restricted to the mail system.
# Default is private service. Internet (inet) sockets can't be private.
#
# Unprivileged: whether the service runs with root privileges or as
# the owner of the Postfix system (the owner name is controlled by the
# mail_owner configuration variable in the main.cf file). Only the
# pipe, virtual and local delivery daemons require privileges.
#
# Chroot: whether or not the service runs chrooted to the mail queue
# directory (pathname is controlled by the queue_directory configuration
# variable in the main.cf file). Presently, all Postfix daemons can run
# chrooted, except for the pipe, virtual and local delivery daemons.
# The proxymap server can run chrooted, but doing so defeats most of
# the purpose of having that service in the first place.
# The files in the examples/chroot-setup subdirectory describe how
# to set up a Postfix chroot environment for your type of machine.
#
# Wakeup time: automatically wake up the named service after the
# specified number of seconds. A ? at the end of the wakeup time
# field requests that wake up events be sent only to services that
# are actually being used. Specify 0 for no wakeup. Presently, only
# the pickup, queue manager and flush daemons need a wakeup timer.
#
# Max procs: the maximum number of processes that may execute this
# service simultaneously. Default is to use a globally configurable
# limit (the default_process_limit configuration parameter in main.cf).
# Specify 0 for no process count limit.
#
# Command + args: the command to be executed. The command name is
# relative to the Postfix program directory (pathname is controlled by
# the daemon_directory configuration variable). Adding one or more
# -v options turns on verbose logging for that service; adding a -D
# option enables symbolic debugging (see the debugger_command variable
# in the main.cf configuration file). See individual command man pages
# for specific command-line options, if any.
#
# General main.cf options can be overridden for specific services.
# To override one or more main.cf options, specify them as arguments
# below, preceding each option by "-o". There must be no whitespace
# in the option itself (separate multiple values for an option by
# commas).
#
# In order to use the "uucp" message tranport below, set up entries
# in the transport table.
#
# In order to use the "cyrus" message transport below, configure it
# in main.cf as the mailbox_transport.
#
# SPECIFY ONLY PROGRAMS THAT ARE WRITTEN TO RUN AS POSTFIX DAEMONS.
# ALL DAEMONS SPECIFIED HERE MUST SPEAK A POSTFIX-INTERNAL PROTOCOL.
#
# DO NOT SHARE THE POSTFIX QUEUE BETWEEN MULTIPLE POSTFIX INSTANCES.
#
#
# service type private unpriv chroot wakeup maxproc command + args
# (yes) (yes) (yes) (never) (100)
#
127.0.0.1:smtp inet n - - - - smtpd
::1:smtp inet n - - - - smtpd <-- Line 84
#submission inet n - - - - smtpd
# -o smtpd_etrn_restrictions=reject
#628 inet n - - - - qmqpd

------

That looked like an IP6 address. Looking at the /etc/hosts file:

------
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost Red

fe00::0 ip6-localnet ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts ip6-allhosts

# (added automatically by netbase upgrade)

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback

-------------

::1 is defined as the last line. So I commented it out. Evolution still
would not start.

So I reloaded evolution and everything I could see that was green in the
synaptic search window for evolution.

That did not fix it.

Then I realized it was a problem with postfix not evolution, so I
searched synaptic for postfix and selected everything that was installed
to reinstall that matched the search for postfix.

Synaptic told me I had to run after the update '/etc/init.d/postfix
reload' so I did.

That did not fix it.

Finally I decided maybe the problem was with the Icon. So I tried to
start it from a terminal.
-----
kip at Red:~ $ evolution-2.6

CalDAV Eplugin starting up ...

(evolution-2.6:5569): camel-WARNING **: Failed to initialize NSS

kip at Red:~ $
-----

So there was something called NSS so I searched Synaptic for NSS.
Everything in the search window that was installed I reinstalled. And
tried again.

------
kip at Red:~ $
kip at Red:~ $ evolution-2.6
CalDAV Eplugin starting up ...

(evolution-2.6:8950): camel-WARNING **: Failed to initialize NSS
------

Different number, but same result, no evolution starting. Then I
wondered if it was looking for the line I commented out of master.cf
line 84. So I uncommented it and rebooted the computer for about the 5th
or 6th time.

------
root at Red:/home/kip # evolution-2.6
(evolution-2.6:10104): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session
manager:

Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.

CalDAV Eplugin starting up ...

(evolution-2.6:10104): camel-WARNING **: Failed to initialize NSS
------

New message! I still don't know what it means, but it is different.

So I started the web browser to search for the error in Google. But I
did not see anything unique to search for in the above error. While
looking for history to maybe see if I could try doc.gwos.org again,
forgetting I had written it at the beginning of this post, :) I saw in
tools menu Read Mail. What the heck, try it see what it does. Evolution
Starts!!!!!!!!!! And downloads 96 emails.

So the Read Mail in FireFox does something different than the Icon at
the top of the screen and the menu, under Applications --> Office -->
Evolution.

Looking at the properties of the Icon at the top of the screen which is
what I use 100% of the time to start evolution, It has:

------
Name: Evolution
Generic Name:
Comment: The Evolution Groupware Suite
Command: evolution-2.6
Type: Application

Under the Advanced tab all the fields that can be filled in are Blank.

------

Where Do I find what Firefox Calls? What is different?