network newbie question

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Thu Mar 1 09:29:08 UTC 2007

On 02/28/2007 09:50 AM, Wei-Yee Chan wrote:
> Patton Echols wrote:
>
>> Is that really required?  My laptop, with basically a default Edgy
>> install, can see shares on my office computers with static IPs.  It can
>> also see the share on my home computer which has the IP assigned by
>> DHCP.  (Perhaps it is just luck that the IP has not changed . . .)
>>

> It's always beneficial for a server to have a fixed IP.
Oh, ok, I thought OP was talking about a peer network.  I don't run any
"servers" in the proper sense.
> I don't know
> about Linux machines but  in my experience, Windoze machines get
> "confused" almost all the time when U don't have a fixed IP.
Hmmm, well I ran my office for a number of years (first win 98, then mix
98-XP and now all XP) on DHCP only.  The only problem we ran into
regularly was that the router got flaky after a week or two of uptime.
It got replaced about the time we switched to the mostly static model we
use now.  The new unit is less flaky, but whether it has anything to do
with the IP's I have no idea.  (We switched  for unrelated reasons)
>  It may not
> be necessary, but I deem it as good practice to do that.

Oh, I'm sure not arguing.  I think we're on the same page.  I was just
suggesting that if the OP is having troubles with a peer network, using
DHCP should not be the reason that the linux box can't see the windows
box.  There is probably some other configuration issue.