apt and setting up email accounts

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Thu Mar 1 07:02:45 UTC 2007

MICHAEL WEAVER wrote:
> As someone who is Totally Blind who may not be able to access the
> notification for updating Edgy, how often should I run apt?
> Should I always do a sudo apt-get update followed by a sudo apt-get dist
> upgrade when I do this?

You should always do apt-get update, but do sudo apt-get upgrade, not
dist-upgrade.

> Also I am thinking about setting up email for Linux on my laptop but am
> not sure what settings to put for my BT account in Evolution as I only
> have my desktop PC running Windows with the settings in Outlook Express
> and Thunderbird.

You can use Thunderbird on Ubuntu, but you'll have to install it
manually.  Just do sudo apt-get install mozilla-thunderbird .  Then, you
can actually copy the profile from Windows to Ubuntu
(http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder).  Alternatively,
it shouldn't be that hard to setup Evolution, but I don't know the details.

Matthew Flaschen