santa rosa macbook pro in feisty/gutsy

Brian Barnes bcbarnes at artsci.wustl.edu
Sat Jun 30 23:19:15 UTC 2007

Hello,

I am wondering, are the new santa rosa chipset macbook pros expected or hoped
to be working smoothly "out of the box" with gutsy?  There are currently many
known bugs at ubuntuforums.org that are not reported in launchpad.  These
mainly focus around sound (doesn't work), suspend (ditto), and fan speed
control (missing in gutsy; a heat concern).  Sound seems to be particularly
troublesome; even recompiling a new alsa did not work for the people I've seen
discuss the issue.

These three threads summarize the situation (mostly w/ feisty):

There are also many untriaged bugs in launchpad dealing with older versions of
the MB/MBP.  One report involving a new MBP from the start of June discusses
not being able to boot from gutsy tribe 1 live cd (probably a video issue, as
he could boot from alternate).  Anyway, I appreciate everyone's work on
ubuntu and mac/intel hardware.  :)

thanks for reading,

Brian