About at the end of my tether with my webcam

Darryl LeCount darryl at jamyskis.net
Fri Jun 29 16:04:32 UTC 2007

Hi all,

Despite using Ubuntu for nearly three years now, I have still yet to
find a sensible solution for my webcam troubles. Before Feisty I did at
least manage to install Michel Xhaard's spca5xxx driver and so got at
the very least XawTV (sort of) and Ekiga working.

Under Feisty, Ekiga now refuses point blank to recognise my webcam. I
have never, ever managed to get Camorama working. XawTV would still does
grab my cam *if* I:

(a) ran it as root
(b) pass -nodga to it
(c) and select AUTO as the TV norm (going back to PAL works again then)

lsusb gives me: Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0733:1311 ViewQuest Technologies,
Inc. Digital Dream Epsilon 1.3

It is fairly old (about five years).

Camgrab also worked if I ran it as root. Eventually I had no choice but
to sudo chmod 777 /dev/video0 (it was already read-access for all) so at
the very least XawTV and Camgrab work under normal users. Ekiga,
however, does not, and this is bugging me no end. Camorama still doesn't
with the very unhelpful "Couldn't connect to video device (/dev/video0)"
- very nice, but no explanation why.

Would anyone be able to lend any advice as to what's happening here?

Thanks!

Darryl LeCount
www.jamyskis.net
darryl at jamyskis.net

PGP Key: 1E94A0F1
To confirm the authenticity of this mail, add this key to your PGP keyring.
Um den Ursprung dieses E-Mails zu bestätigen, bitte diesen Schüssel in Ihren PGP-Schlüsselbund einfügen.
Pour vérifier l'authenticité de ce courriel, ajoutez ce clé à votre porte-clés PGP.