Difficulty installing Feisty Fawn

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Fri Jun 29 15:49:44 UTC 2007

On 2007/06/29 15:05 (GMT+0100) Martin Thomas apparently typed:

>   The problem is that I cannot get Ubuntu to install at all, so there are no files on my hard disk that I can edit. At the point at which the install fails I am looking at what must be a ram disc with a very simplified shell. There is no /etc/fstab though there are files in /dev/disk/by-uuid. I can't find an editor, but I can create small files with 'echo' or make simple changes with sed. I am hoping that there is some boot option that will help, but do not know enogh to work it out.

>From what I remember about your original message you were getting an
install that couldn't boot. If above you're referring to a rescue boot
you should find the contents of what would be your / mounted in /mnt,
which the mount command should show you. At that point there might be an
editor named nano.

For lack of any better help, maybe you should try to install edgy and if
successful upgrade from it to feisty.

Another thing to try if you burned the CD you're trying to install from
is to reburn at 16X or 20X instead of full speed. Be sure to use the
test CD option from the installation menu before trying to actually
install. Maybe your CD drive is a little dirty.
--
"Respect everyone."	I Peter 2:17 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409