Pavilion dv 9310

Matthew Carpenter matt at eisgr.com
Fri Jun 29 14:43:56 UTC 2007

On Friday 29 June 2007, Dan Gheorghe wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> I recently downloaded Ubuntu 7.04 and I have installed it on my laptop.
> After installing Ubuntu I had to reboot the system in order to complete the
> installation. At this point the computer started booting up, I was able to
> see Ubuntu logo but after this it shows a black screen and that's about it.
> The computer practically hangs at that point and I have to manually reset
> the computer. I've tried a couple of times to boot up again but the result
> is the same. Here are my computer specs:
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00878766&lc=en&cc=us&d
>lc=en&product=3388276&lang=en
> Any ideas will be much appreciated!!!

ALT-F1 as soon as the splash screen comes up (or modify the grub config line
and remove "splash" and if that doesn't show enough information,
remove "quiet" as well.

You can also just try "Recovery Mode".  It will take you into single user mode
if it does boot, but that would be useful.  In fact, this may prove a better
first step.  It's simple, doesn't require any specific grub knowledge, and
quick.  If it works and the other doesn't, try the other ideas and look
specifically for startup scripts to be hanging you.

I'm running a dv6000t, which I've noticed from other emails to be different
than the 9k series, but may provide enough similarities to help.

How did you set up partitioning?  Is there any reason for the MD subsystem to
be looking for LVM/RAID partitions?  That can take a long time on some
systems.