Feisty Fawn Installation Problems

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 12:11:36 UTC 2007

On 27/06/07, Mike Adolf <mlnx at mho.com> wrote:
> I have been using Linux for years and now my wife decided to dump
> windows and asked me to install Linux on her Averatec 3150 laptop.
> Great! I'll just install the same one I am using. Wrong!  I tried to
> install Ubuntu 7.04. It took a long time for the live CD to boot and
> when I tried to install, 40 minutes later I was on step 3 of 7.  I was
> afraid to continue and let it repartition hda for a dual boot. So, I
> downloaded Kubuntu 7.04. It was a little faster, but just before the CD
> finished booting I got an error stating that the process that supported
> the file manager died. I ended up going back to kubuntu 6.10, which
> installed normally except it can not see my wireless card.
>
> Firstly, any Ideas why the installers failed? I really would prefer
> Ubuntu 7.04 which installed flawlessly on my Dell xps 410. Maybe I could
> set aside a few hours and try the 7.04 installer again. Since Linux has
> already been installed, maybe it won't need to repartition hda. But
> maybe after it installed, it would also be slow. Who knows!
>
> Secondly, any hints on solving the wireless problem.  Windows shows the
> wireless card as "11Mbps WM 168b USB Module". Also, this might be
> related. When running the kcmshell, I always get the message "Bad device
> 168, Major opcode 145, Minor opcode 3, but kcmshell then does what I
> want.

As "NoOp" says, try the Alternate boot CD.

Once it's installed, connect it to a /wired/ Ethernet connection, use
apt-get or Synaptic to update it to the hilt, /then/ try the wireless
device.

> One more thing, in kubuntu 6.10 how do you change the grub boot order?

Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst (or whereever it is - I /think/ that's right.)

--
Liam Proven • Blog, homepage &c: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven at aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven at hotmail.com