problem installing gparted

Rick Knight rick_knight at rlknight.com
Wed Jun 27 21:13:25 UTC 2007

Jimmy Wu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed Ubuntu 7.04 on my computer off a live CD.  When I boot
> from the
> CD, GPartEd is visible under the System/Administration menu.  However,
> the
> Ubuntu installed on my hard drive does not have gparted installed
> (there is
> no GPartEd icon at the System/Administration menu).
> When I go to the Terminal and type in "sudo apt-get install gparted", it
> gives me this:
>
> Reading package lists...Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information...Done
> Package gparted is not available, but is referred to by another package.
> This may mean that it is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only
> available
> from another source
> E: Package gparted has no installation candidate
>
> Using the synaptic package manager, I can see that my system does have
> libparted 1.7.1, as well as the parted package.  There is nothing when I
> search for gparted though.
> I can't install gparted via add/remove programs because my ubuntu
> computer
> is not connected to the internet.  I do have the live CD for Ubuntu
> 7.04though, and I was wondering if anyone knew how to install gparted
> from that?
>
> I would greatly appreciate any help on getting gparted to install.
>
> Thanks.

I believe you need to run gparted from the live CD or "RescueCD".
Gparted won't let you do anything with mounted partitions. Boot RescueCD
(or Live CD) and run startx. When X starts, find the icon for Gparted,
right click and choose Launch. Works great on my Kubuntu 7.04. I can't
get Openswan to work for me, so I've used Gparted to make some space on
my drive for the latest Debian-testing. In 2 different sessions I've
shrunk my WinXP Pro partition and stretched my /boot partition. Then
shrunk my main linux partiton and created and formatted (to ext3) free
space for the new Debian installation, which is still downloading. I've
tested all of the re-sized partitions and everything works great.

Good Luck,
Rick Knight